Saturday, May 6, 2023

A Conversation with God about the Beatitudes

Me: God, I want to be blessed!  How can I have a blessed life?

God: To be blessed, empty yourself of everything you hold onto as dear in your spirit. Sacrifice all you have and all you are and follow me.

Me: Wait, what? You want me to give up everything? So I have nothing of myself? You're asking me to give you everything that makes me who I am? If I give up everything, what will I have left to serve you with?

God: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Me: I can't! It would be too painful! I would grieve too much if I lost myself the way You are asking me to! It would send me into a depression!

God: Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

Me: But then who will I be? A lowly, empty shell of who I am now? How can I possibly serve you without all of these qualities and personality traits and assets that I've been so proud of?

God: Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Me: But what about all the things that I've always wanted? Surely You know that I need some of these things to satisfy me and make me content!

God: Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

Me: But what about all these other people?  It seems like they are doing just fine without giving up all that stuff! Why don't You ask them to give up what You are asking me to give up? I won't be able to look at them without resentment now...

God: Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.

Me: Okay, I can do it, but will You work this for my benefit? Surely, I can do it in such a way that will actually pay off for me, right?

God: Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.

Me: You don't know what some of these people are like! I'll lose my friends and the people who understood me the best and people will be angry with me and think I'm self-righteous if I do this. How will I handle all the conflict?

God: Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Me: Some of them will not be willing to make peace with me.  I know for a fact some of them will turn on me and start treating me badly if I take this path.

God: Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness's sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Me: How can you say this is a blessing? You know what they will say and the rumors that will be spread!

God: Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.  Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Me: But if people really do turn on me like that...it will wreck me.  I'll become empty and lose myself.

God: Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment